Tuesday 18 September 2012

5x5

5 Favourite TV Shows

  1. Supernatural (2005-)
       I love the way that the supernatural creatures in it are portrayed as realistic; it makes it seem as though they could exist in real life. I also love the humour involved in it. There are several gags related to The X Files  which the show has been liked to, and episodes such as 'The Curios Case Of Dean Winchester' and 'The Girl With The Dungeon And Dragon Tattoo' which play on popular culture. My favourite comedic episode would have to be 'The French Mistake'  where the two brothers, Sam and Dean, end up in a parallel universe where their lives are a show and it crosses over with the real life production of the show.
  2. Malcolm In The Middle (2000-2006)
       I grew up watching this show and never get tired of it as the comedy doesnt fail to still amuse me although now it may seem outdated. The young actors are brilliant and I especially love Erik Per Sullivan's portrayal Dewey,  even though he was only about 9 when the first series aired.
  3. Torchwood (2006-2011)
       Torchwood is a spin-off from Doctor Who that is set in modern day Cardiff. It is about a group of people that are part of an organisation 'outside of the government and beyond the police' that take care and control the alien life on this planet. I think it is a really great piece of television that keeps me entertained series after series - I just didn't appreciate how the main characters Owen, Tosh and Ianto were killed off, although I could see how it helped the series to grow and develop.
  4. Being Human (2008- 2012)
       Being Human  was, I thought, a original and unique take on monsters such as vampires, werewolves and ghosts. The actors are fantastic and I really enjoy the story lines. I love how it makes the viewers question what it really means to 'be human.'
  5. Dexter (2006-)
      Based on the Dexter series of books by Jeff Lindsay, this show is about a forensic blood spatter pattern analyst that works for Miami-Metro Police Department, who is also a serial killer. The show plays on our perception of good as Dexter is a serial killer, but he only really kills people that deserve it. I really enjoy how it has managed to make the viewers care for him, even though he would probably be hated in real life.

5 Favourite Movies:

  1. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes (2011)
      I was weary about seeing this film as I often find that remakes, especially prequels, are nowhere near as good as the original - but I have to say it is one of the best films I have ever seen; I could watch it a million times and not get tired of it. My absolute favourite scene is where Caesar says "No" for the first time. It is so powerful and thrilling to watch -  it gives me goosebumps every time I see it.
  2. The Avengers (2012)
       I love how this movie was a collaboration of such wonderful characters and actors. Tom Hiddleston was excellent as Loki, the villain of the film, managing to portray him as heartbroken - as we saw him loose everything at the end of Thor - yet malevolent as he wishes to take over earth. Many people said that Scarlett Johansson was added to the film as just a pretty face - however I found that she was a credit to female action heroes, she was feisty and smart, not to mention great at fighting. I am very glad that the film was directed by  Joss Whedon as he was a fan of Marvel comic books which meant he actually cared about what he was doing and wanted to make it as true to the comic books as possible.
  3. Psycho (1960)
       This is just a classic piece of cinema that everybody should see. I was amazed at how brilliantly the story is put together and the tension is created so perfectly. I really adore the strong female characters, which was unusual for the time, and I think the twist at the end is truly marvelous.
  4. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
        I really love this film and how the main character is a young girl who is thrown into a very adult situation. The actress that plays her does so amazingly well and makes the audience care for her. I really like how different it is to other films and feel that the ending, although very heartbreaking, makes the film a must see.
  5. Hot Fuzz (2007)
       I love Pegg and Frost films because they have real chemistry together. This is a hilariously funny slasher movie that has a fantastic British cast including Bill Nighy, Martin Freeman and Bill Baily. I have seen it hundred of times but it never gets old.
5 Favourite Actors:
  1. Misha Collins
       He is such a perfect human being. He gives 100% to each role he plays. Some of his most well known roles are Supernatural he plays Castiel, a fallen angel, and in Karla, a film based on the true story of serial killers Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka - a truly stunning performance where he manages to portray Bernardo realisticly rather than just  psychotic murderer, giving him more depth. He was also in the 2010 film Stonehenge Apocalypse. Great acting. Terrible movie. Outside of his work he is a great person. Every year he goes to Haiti to build an orphanage. He dressed in drag to renew his wedding vows, outside of a supermarket, with a bouquet of vegetables. He was once arrested for climbing on the roof of a bank to read because he 'needed better lighting.'
  2. Bradley Cooper
       Everything that Bradley has been in, I have loved. He seems like such a fun, laid back guy and his work never fails to entertain me. And let's face it - he isn't hard to look at.
  3. Bruce Willis
      He is such a great actor and I have never seen a bad movie of his. He has a persona that fits with each of his characters so that he almost becomes  them, making him a pleasure to watch.
  4. Benedict Cumberbatch
       Benedict always seems so into his roles and spreads his passion to the audience. He manages to become connected to each character he plays, causing the good in them to be shown and making them more realistic and believable for the audience.
  5. Hugh Jackman
       Hugh seems to be able to do everything. From small parts in unknown Australian dramas, to huge blockbuster movies, to musical theater. His acting is mesmerising - he has a way of grabbing the audience from the moment the comes on screen.
5 Favourite Songs:
  1. Mike Dexter Is A God, Mike Dexter Is A Role Model, Mike Dexter Is An Asshole - Zebrahead
         I love how Zebrahead use two vocalists - Ali Tabatabaee, who is more of a rapper, and Matty Lewis, more of a pop punk style - to produce a unique blend. This is probably my favourite song by them as it has an awesome tune and simple repetative lyrics. It is a happy song and is about as romantic as these guys can do. My favourite part of the song is at 2:45 when it really kicks off, introducing a load of instruments for the finale.
  2. The Bad Touch - Bloodhound Gang
       A filthy song full of puns and innuendos that would make an old lady blush, no less than I would expect from a band that produced songs such as 'A Lap Dance Is So Much Better When The Stripper Is Crying' and 'You're Pretty When I'm Drunk.' The monotonous tone of Jimmy Pop fits perfectly with the beat and I just love how catchy it is.
  3. Fat Lip - Sum 41
        This song is wonderful. From the days where punk was popular came forth this hit by Sum 41. It reminds me of my childhood and makes me happy with its upbeat tune. I love how there are three vocalists whose lyrics overlap to produce a work of art.
  4. Fela Igjen - Alex Rybak feat. Opptur
       I have no idea what anyone is saying in this song (it is in Norwegian) but it is so catchy and has a great beat to it. Alex Rybak is one of my favourite singers and his voice perfectly compliments the fast rapping of Opptur. The chorus, 'jeg bytta bort kua fikk fela igjen' translates as 'he traded away that cow, and got the fiddle back again.'
  5. Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
         Classic rock is incredible and I just love how unique this song is. The lyrics are deep and meaningful, the tune is powerful and flawless. It is five minutes of joy, followed by 26 seconds of sadness because the song is almost over.
5 Favourite Comediens:

  1. Lee Mack
       Everything Lee does makes me me laugh. It might be his face or how northern he is, but either way I think hes just so funny.
  2. Frankie Boyle
       Frankie Boyle just causes so much controversy - its hilarious. I love how people take him so seriously and think his opinion is really important. He's just so amusingly offensive.
  3. Russel Howard
       I once went to see the filming of Russell Howard's Good News  and love how relaxed he is on stage. I like how he manages to appeal to an audience of older and younger people, while still being cheeky and fresh-faced.
  4. David Mitchell
       I really enjoy watching David Mitchell. Most of my friends don't like him because he is 'too posh' but I find that makes him funny. I like how he appears to look really socially awkward and how he goes off on rants about small things like kitchens.
  5. Tim Vine
       I was at The Tim Vine Chat Show at The Y theatre on the 20th of September and it was fantastic. Quick witted and clean humour that made everyone's sides split. Even the friend I dragged along, who has a very different taste in comedians to me, didnt stop laughing. I loved how he made the audience feel involved and there was probably a laugh a minute. He is the true king of the one liner.

No comments:

Post a Comment